Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Social Networking

I looked at several of the articles listed in this quest. Your Guide to Social Networking Online was very long and gave a great history of social networking. It included names of networks that I had never even heard of. I was able to follow the links of those networks and see what each one looked like. They all basically served the same purpose of networking with other people. I thought the article on How to Talk to Young People About Socializing Safely Online had great tips. Getting your young person to follow those tips might be a challenge. LinkedIn was interesting. That one is directed toward networking with professional people. I am familiar with My Space and Facebook because my son used those sites on a daily basis. Now that he is in college he has cancelled his My Space account and now has a Facebook account. I opened a Facebook account so that he and I could be "friends" and I could also see what he is up to. I don't think that I will open a My Space account since he cancelled his. I actually heard about Classmates.com because it pops up occasionally when I am searching for a name on the internet. I like Friendster because I can search by name just like My Space.
I did not realize that there were so many networks out there for people to socialize on. Some of the people had very interesting web pages. Others are just plain scary!

No comments: